Please list your virtual cafés at https://www.memorycafedirectory.com/cafe-connect/ ,or find a cafe to refer to.
Example Flyer for Virtual Memory Cafe
We Thrive Together Virtual Program Calendar for Seniors (summer 2020)
Memory Joggers Activities
oneclick.chat – Platform for Virtual Gatherings Geared for Seniors
Resources on the Memory Cafe Directory web-page
Tips/Best Practices from Memory Cafe Percolator Network
Guidance for Remote Implementation of Bingocize!
Host a Virtual SAGE Table – Learn more HERE
Steps to consider when transitioning to a virtual cafe
- Which platform to use (Zoom, telephone-based, oneclick.chat)
- What are privacy considerations related to the selected platform
- Requiring folks to pre-register is often an added barrier to participation. But be careful of how far the registration information travels. (i.e. don’t share Zoom link on social media)
- Don’t use the waiting room feature on Zoom, as it can confuse older adults
- Can most guests use the selected platform? Or can they call in through the telephone to participate?
- Mail necessary materials in advance to those who call in via the telephone.
- Share a “joining a video call for the first time” tutorial with guests prior to each session
- Review Zoom controls at the beginning of each session
- Periodically unmute everyone to facilitate discussion
Considerations for facilitating the virtual session
- When a guest is presenting, “pin” their screen so they are what everyone else sees on their Zoom window
- Start or end each session with a TimeSlips Beautiful Question (find a list of Qs HERE)
- Consider making each cafe a particular theme (i.e. travel to a certain part of the world) and encourage guests to “bring” a snack of their own that corresponds with that theme. Food is an important part of the memory cafe experience, so not being able to provide it to guests is a challenge. But you can encourage them to bring their own!
Complete list of FY21 Memory Cafes
Program Planning Materials
Tips and Best Practices
Caregiver Alerts and Updates
Milken Institute’s Center for Aging Report w/ Recommendations to Reduce Impact of Dementia
Sign up for Caregiver Alerts/e-newsletters at
For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org